Setting The Example

That's what I understand my purpose to be. To set the example for those around me. Isn't it the reason why everyone blames Bill Clinton for the increase in teenage oral sex? Because he did it and he said "it wasn't sex"? So, now, we have a leader who sets the example or precedent in this case, of torture being an ok thing to do. Now, I know I'm not up on my scripture but I believe I missed the part in the Bible where it says that it is ok for Christians to cause physical, mental, emotional or psychological harm to another being.
Are we so far removed from reality that we can say "whatever" to this? I mean, as an animal rights activist I have seen some things that would make you physically ill, no lie, in regards to the treatment of animals in factory farms and research labs. You would never ever buy meat or not look for the "not tested on animals" logo again. But, as much as it might affect me, I understand that a lot of people can turn away from this sort of thing, consume and never really be bothered with the plight of our furry friends.
But now we are talking about people. I know that the general misinformation leads the public to believe that only terrorists are being "interrogated" but surely, surely you can't believe that, can you? Holding people without any charge, not allowing them to speak to an attorney or to their family for YEARS, is this who we are? If it was going on next door to you - a man being beaten mercilessly, having foreign objects rammed into his rectum, electrodes sending hundreds of volts of electricity into his testicles, screaming endlessly would you continue watching "The Biggest Loser" unaffected? I will not believe that our country thinks this is ok. But perfectly wonderful people roll over this stuff like a pebble under the tires of a car, without a second thought. I cannot begin to fathom the fear, the loneliness, the stress, the pain, the horror of living in a place where torture exists. But there are a lot of people who are dealing with that right now. And it's because we say it's ok. Is it?
I say no.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog