Back Home
Sigh. There's always something extraordinarily warming about getting home, regardless of where home might be. I was able to go to San Francisco and absorb some much needed tolerance and liberal energy, not just from the city but from my sister, her partner and their friends. If you are ever there go to the restaurant- Herbivore. It was an amazing thing to be able to choose anything - anything! - from the menu. I had lasagna for the first time in three years. Could have brought a more tender soul to tears. And I had two desserts - carrot cake and german (sniff) chocolate (sob) cake. Amazing. And it didn't feel sacrificial - as most of my meals feel normally. I did make - like in a kichen without a box but with a recipe (a how to with a list of ingredients....for those not big on kitchen lingo) - (drumroll) a spectacular pumpkin soup (not just my words but shocked adulation from Steph and Lisa) and (ahem) a chocolate mousse. Both vegan and yes, both fantastic. I have never been known for my wizardry in the kitchen - I hate cooking shows, cook books intimidate me, and frankly, I am not a big fan of eating. Sure, I like to eat good stuff on occassion but for the most part, eating is just a time waster - I have to stop doing stuff I want to do to do something I don't really want to do that makes me sluggish and tired. I like the thought of eating my main meal at lunch so that I can burn it all off during the day, but I get so lethargic that it is not something I do on a regular basis.
This trip was definitely different than others in the past. This was the first one I took without a member of my family. I have to say, I like my kids and husband. And I don't like being away from them for more than a couple of days. It was good because I got to do stuff that I wanted to do, but sincerely, after a couple of days of that, I would have preferred to share the experience.
My sister's partner, Lisa, took me to an Afro-Brazillian dance class which made me remember how much I love to dance. Everything about it. The movement, the expression, the music, the fumbling through routines, the swirling of trying to get my very English butt to swivel like a South American butt and my very English feet to step in time like African feet and my very ballet arms to move to primal,tribal beats. Needless to say, a bit of internal conflict arose, but my love for dance and music vastly outweighed my inabilities.
My sister, Steph, has always been a mighty and strong woman. She, my mother always says, was such an athlete. To say she is strong is like saying Matt Damon has potential as an actor. Anyway, through a series of being (loves food, loves sedentary activities like movies and tv sports) and living (desk job) she had become unhappy with herself. I won't tell you how much she weighed because I have been sworn to secrecy - but I was surprised when she told me. Anyway, she started rowing. And being as powerful as she is, she did well. Being obsessive compulsive helped when she realized that she was - alas! - getting into shape! Now she works out at the gym everyday. And plays raquetball three or so times a week. She has dropped at least twenty pounds and looks fantastic. It makes me happy to see her look so healthy....now if I could just get her to drop the meat-eating. I left some DVDs that would help her - but she has to watch them.
It was a good trip. But I am glad to be home. Even if I am in the area that boasts the biggest concentration of the 34% of Americans still supporting bush at this time. I am surrounded by my three lovely dogs, my husband and at 6 o'clock today my two beautiful boys. Can't wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog