One Week – Circus Countdown!

One week from today, the animals from the Cruelest Show on Earth arrive for their 14 performances. And at 5:30 on Friday the demos begin. It horrifies me to think of those animals being forced to run around in circles, perform those stupid tricks under threat of violence. How do we condone this? How do we dismiss this as “entertainment” and something not worth our time or effort to end?
Because it is happening out of our direct sight?
Because you don’t go to the circus?
Because activist organizations that you believe to be extreme are already making a big deal about the circus and it will end eventually?
For every performance that is allowed to take place in cities across our country, a little more of our humanity slips away. For every animal held in captivity, beaten, broken, torn, tortured, electrocuted, chided, mocked, abandoned, for every single incident of animal abuse that is allowed to go on unchecked, who we are as a people is more permanently defined.
I get this a lot.
What about people?
Don’t you care about people?
It seems a silly question to me. But to some it is serious. They can see much needed funds being funneled away from desperately ill, hungry and poor people to animals. Shouldn’t people come first? I have to say, no. I think people have been put first for a long time, and look where it has taken us. I don’t believe in first, second, third, etc. I believe that there are people on this planet that have been given a passion for certain things and to deny that passion is to deny a divine gift. Our competitive, capitalist system doesn’t really allow for alternative approaches but here goes. Simultaneous. Concurrent efforts on many fronts.
Let the people with a passion for the poor and destitute work for them with all their hearts.
Let the people with a passion for breast cancer, aids, hunger and stem cell research work tirelessly for those noble causes.
Let the Butterflys and the activists for global warming, pollution and GMOs push hard for change in the environment.
But I have finally, after 43 years, realized that I have to focus. I found myself pulled in so many directions for so many years because I do care a lot about a lot of different things. I do have a great passion for the environment. I do care deeply for those most susceptible to poverty and hunger. But I only have so many hours in a day. And I believe that caring about those with no voice whatsoever is what I am meant to do. It has infiltrated my being to a point I didn’t think possible. I gave up chocolate for crying out loud! That has to count for something! Now, so much of what I do is dictated by my belief that animals are not here for our fickle and fanciful entertainment. They are not here to be consumed, destroyed, poked, injected and maimed. They are not here for us to exercise our perverse need to swagger about displaying dominance over completely defenseless beings. Sure a tiger is somewhat more able to defense itself than say a mouse or a monkey, but not in a cage. Not while being starved and beaten. We look back at history and balk at the crude forms of entertainment that came before us. Public executions, lions and the Christians, ghastly aberrations of the human hunger for gore and violence. I look back at what was considered to be entertainment and I sigh in relief that I was born in the time of the Internet, video games, incredible graphics in films, and all the other entertainment we have access to. So why does this archaic barbaric freakshow still exist? Unfortunately, a lot of it has to do with money but quite a bit has to do with ignorance. People just don’t know.
It’s difficult when you are involved as heavily in something as I am in animal rights to think outside that wealth of information. It all seems so very transparent. But I can easily take myself out of that because I am surrounded by people who have their own little worlds that they are deeply absorbed in, that don’t include my information. My suburban friends who work and have kids and are involved in volunteer work with the school and church rarely even consider what’s in their food, what is behind the entertainment their kids want to see. They are exhausted! One more piece of information, regardless of how important or impactful to one’s life is just one piece too many. They are full. And I can relate to this. The amount of paperwork associated with kids is overwhelming and endless. Multiply that by the number of kids you have and the compounding is frightening. The activities of the kids, the family, the parents, along with schoolwork, and work and church and organizations, leaves approximately 3.2 minutes of spare time…which is usually allotted to the warming up of some microwavable dinner. Now insert -oh! That fast food you rely so heavily on to feed your family is actually killing you because it is laced with unfathomable cruelty and disease, and that circus you are taking your kids to relies heavily on serious torture and beatings of those performing animals who are seriously malnourished, dehydrated and chained for 90% of their miserable lives, and that rodeo! Golly don’t get me started. It’s the river mentality. When it comes to eating and being entertained – GOD! Who wants to have to THINK??!! Just let me FLOAT awhile!
Sigh.
I understand. I know at times I might not seem to, but I do. I understand trying to keep a family afloat. I understand all the demands and responsibilities that having a household, a yard, pets, children, a marriage, friends, church can bring. I do understand this. But I have to say, when driving down the highway whether it’s on my way to my mom’s or on a camping trip to Alabama, I stop for every turtle.
I do.
A turtle in the middle of the road is something I cannot drive by. It doesn’t have a chance. Or maybe it does, but I am not willing to leave that chance up to, well, chance. I pull over and get it to where it wants to go.
And that is my approach to animals. I have to do something. I cannot sit by and eat chicken wings knowing that little animals are being tortured for my taste buds. It gives me the heebies. I cannot sit down and sink my teeth into a burger knowing all I know about the factory farming. The effect on the environment, communities and to those billions of animals. I simply cannot do it.
And I cannot sit by as majestic beasts are forced to their knees by cruel and psychopathic haters of animals. You cannot say you love an animal and then beat it. It is the same kind of twisted “love” that a lot of women believe is acceptable. It is not. No one who loves you, kicks your ass. Plain and simple. No one who loves an animal believes that sinking a hook into its flesh “won’t hurt ‘em”. It defies logic.

PETA is having a “naked tiger” model display on July 12th at the corner of Capitol St. and Milam St., in front of the Chase Tower from 12 to 1 (the lunch hour). I will be there handing out flyers to our protest as well as anti-circus info. PETA and ISWA as well as our beloved Society of PEACE have all stepped up and sent out mass emailings to all their activists informing them about our protest. I am responding to requests for information as I write which is amazing. Electrifying even.
Anyway, I will be posting flyers this weekend, as well as handing out the Ringling undercover footage of “elephant training” which includes the infamous words:

"Sink that hook into ‘em ... when you hear that screaming then you know you got their attention. Right here in the barn. You can’t do it on the road. … I’m not gonna touch her in front of a thousand people. … She’s gonna f---ing do what I want and that’s just f---ing the way it is.” --- Elephant trainer Tim Frisco

to all the television stations in the area. Let’s see who has the bollocks to show that video to our circus going masses. It is truly nauseating.
One more time, here’s the information. Hope to see you there. Every single person will make a difference.




PROTEST INFORMATION:
Park at the strip center parking lot off Kirby past Reliant Stadium on the left (coming from 610). There's a Subway sandwich shop and a Ross store there . Park facing the street. We have signage. Bring water and dress for the heat. Feel free to bring chains, whips, replica bullhooks (real ones are considered weapons by the city of Houston!!!???), or to dress up as a clown or ringmaster. Be as creative as you want to be, if you have signage you want to carry - bring it! The more the merrier so feel free to bring friends.


Volunteers will congregate at the arrival time and then be given further instructions. Families and activists of all ages are encouraged to participate in the demos.



July 14 Friday 7:30 PM ARRIVE AT 5:30
July 15 Saturday 11:30 AM ARRIVE AT 9:30am
July 15 Saturday 3:30 PM ARRIVE AT 1:30
July 15 Saturday 7:30 PM ARRIVE AT 5:30
July 16 Sunday 5:30 PM ARRIVE AT 3:30
July 18 Tuesday 7:30 PM ARRIVE AT 5:30
July 19 Wednesday 7:30 PM ARRIVE AT 5:30
July 20 Thursday 7:30 PM ARRIVE AT 5:30
July 21 Friday 7:30 PM ARRIVE AT 5:30
July 22 Saturday 11:30 AM ARRIVE AT 9:30am
July 22 Saturday 3:30 PM ARRIVE AT 1:30
July 22 Saturday 7:30 PM ARRIVE AT 5:30
July 23 Sunday 1:30 PM ARRIVE AT 11:30am
July 23 Sunday 5:30 PM ARRIVE AT 3:30

Comments

Popular posts from this blog