Lieberman Musings
I have been hearing quite a bit about Lieberman, especially on hate radio. The central theme seems to be that Lieberman is a “centrist” or “moderate”, equated at times to Zell “scream like a banchee at conventions” Miller.
Huh.
The thing is, I don’t know that much about Lieberman, except every time something comes up that catches my attention, an issue that is of significance to me, there is Senator Lieberman standing in what seems to be hand-in-hand with those that represent the opposite of what I believe.
But I think the hoopla and hullabaloo being stirred up about Lieberman and his battle with Lamont goes deeper than whether the democratic party is trying to rid itself of anyone who is not “extreme” (according to the brilliant minds of savage, rush, and hannity). I believe that the fact that this guy who has been in Washington for a very long time, a career politician, is suddenly having to, shock horror, work for his position. When your own party says, your platform does not represent what we want; you don’t go running to the political elite and start whining. What you need to do is say – what do you guys want? Have I somehow in all my years in Washington, become complacent, veered from my original stance, become a bit too involved in what is considered by most to be the icky side of politics – the side we don’t want to see where favors are exchanged, where the constituents rarely, if ever, are discussed. Where glad handling, where tit-for-tat, where greasing the palms all frolic in the open air. I think what scares the Washington mainstays and elite is that NOTHING is safe right now. No person sitting on Capitol Hill getting a pedicure and a massage is safe from the pitchfork wielding masses.
You see, we have been busy. The average person in this country has been very busy, trying to kids with substandard education, with disappearing aid for day care, with diminishing funds for healthcare, with dwindling pay and rising costs of gas and groceries, the American citizen has been very busy.
But do not for one second think that we have not been paying attention.
We do read, unlike our president.
We read about voting fraud.
We read about lobbyists.
We read about secret energy meetings.
We read about Halliburton.
We read about torture.
We read about pork.
We read about the lifting of pollution controls for the biggest polluters.
We read.
And we are done.
We are done with people who believe they are entitled to the money that we give in good faith, as tax revenue.
We are tired of people who say they represent us but at every opportunity they represent only themselves or those who give them money and power.
We are tired of our neighbors and fellow dwellers on this planet thinking we are bullies.
We are tired of the swagger.
We are tired of being embarrassed.
And all those guys in Washington are peeing in their pants, because if the constituents can go after someone like Lieberman, who else will they go after? This guy, after all, voted 90% with his party. But you see, he supports a war and a doctrine that Americans do not support. We do not support sending our children in to a war to go and kill civilians and to come home war torn and psychologically destroyed. We deplore that even ONE soldier comes home and finds himself or herself homeless. This is unacceptable. We are disgusted that babies and children are being killed because they are in Iraq, yet we can’t get stem cells from donated eggs from this country to help people with devastating illnesses. We are disgusted that our government makes it illegal for us to get prescription drugs from anywhere but the most expensive outlet. We are sick to death of our country being run by big business that uses the people of this country as cogs in the machine. We are furious that we have to file bankruptcy because one of the working adults in the family is diagnosed with a debilitating illness that is a direct result of the unrestricted polluting of our water, air and land by big business. It makes us physically ill that our LEADER refuses to acknowledge the truth that has been scientifically proven categorically that global warming exists because of us and then turns around and says he is solving the problem. How do you solve a problem that you do not believe exists? The earth is hotter than it has ever been. Species are becoming extinct at an alarming rate. 1 out of every 166 births is now autistic but our government will still not publicly announce that this is directly due to the high quantities of mercury in our fish.
I don’t think there is anything worse in a society than those running the government constantly talking about how great everything is when you are surrounded by crap. I am tired of hearing my child wheeze because there are so many pollutants in the air. I am tired of paying 35 dollars to fill up my gas tank. I am tired of paying more for less. I am tired of being told that we all have to sacrifice, yet it seems that we’re doing a lot of the sacrificing and they aren’t doing their fair share. I want to hear someone talk about what matters to me. I want a good reputation in the international community. I want national healthcare. I want the freakin’ No Child Left Behind BS program to go away. I want hydrogen cell cars. I want the Prius Plus. I want a healthy environment. I want restrictions on big business tightened and enforced. I want all children educated the same. I want our kids home from war. Washington is going to bring out the big guns to protect Lieberman, for he is the poster child of the Washington Establishment. Unfortunately, we’re not digging the establishment so much right now. Had they been listening, they would have heard that message quite some time ago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog