Ok.
I am a big advocate of cycling. Love it. Did it for a living for awhile. Great exercise, great in helping with the reality of global warming and breaking the addiction to oil. Love bicycles.
I also love rollerblades. I love to strap those puppies on and fly. Great mode of transportation, wonderful exercise and again socially responsible.
Not a big advocate of roller skates simply because I have had no luck with them myself, but I have seen people who are very good on them and I think that they, too, are wonderful.
So, there you go. Big believer in wheels on feet or subbing in for feet in regards to exercise and social correctness. Got that?
However, and this is such a huge HOWEVER, I am NOT an advocate of any kind of wheeled form of transportation (except strollers) on the sidewalk.
It is a sidewalk after all and not a sideride.
People who insist on riding their bikes on the sidewalk are social pariahs. Especially when I am walking my four dogs.
What are you thinking?
What on earth can possibly be going through your head as you approach two people with four dogs on the sideWALK, as you careen towards them on your bicycle?
Or worse, pocket motor-someone needs to put money away for this kid's education - cycles? These horrendous devices are given to elementary aged kids who, unsupervised, race around the sidewalks like it's the indy 500. It was bad enough when those ridiculous scaled down Barbie and GI Joe cars skidded onto the market, but now we give motorcycles that can go in excess of 40 mph to little kids? How do you spell guilt for not spending TIME with one's kids? I spell it I-R-R-E-S-P-O-N-S-I-B-L-E-T-O-Y-S.
But not teaching your kid that the place for motorized or wheeled vehicles is simply irresponsible parenting. When a teenager approaches me on the sidewalk on a bike and looks at me like I need to move out of his way, boy, you do not know who you are messing with. Get off the sidewalk, ya hooligan!
LOL.
I am such an adult now.
Anyway, please remember...not a sideRIDE a sideWALK. Let's keep it that way.
And for everyone driving a car, the bikes have a right to be there too. Remember they get the right of way because they're being responsible and are exposed to the elements. Give them ROOM!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog