School Board
So I went before the board last night. There was a flurry of activity including two board members stating hostility being the reason to not run for re-election. It was a packed house. Loads of re-zoning issues and budget cutting problems. One eight year old boy got up and spoke for about a minute and a half. He wants his bus back. He walks in the rain. His books get wet. He gets in trouble. He walks past shootings and stabbings. Give him his bus for crying out loud. He was the only one to get applause.
At that point.
Several more speakers. It's now nine o'clock. I have been waiting now for 2 and a half hours. I don't get more calm with waiting.
They call my name.
Besides the vibrating in my right leg that made me sound like I was about to burst into tears, I did manage to pull myself together halfway through and finish strong. I had everyone's attention. Applause broke out the moment I finished and continued as I strode out the door. I got two thumbs up from board members, and from several people waiting in the hall who were watching it on closed circuit tv. I ran out to my car in the hope that I would get to my son's baseball practice just as it ended. I got to my car, turned around to see a woman running towards me.
"Thank you." she said breathlessly.
She hugged me spontaneously.
"I'm so glad someone finally said something. I couldn't have said it better myself!"
That was pretty awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog