I think if you are contributing to something by buying the product, it is your CIVIC DUTY, your responsibility as a human being to see what your money is contributing to. Say, you buy an article of clothing. It's a lovely blouse....or frock....reasonably priced and just what you were looking for. You purchase this blouse....or frock, without realizing that there are six year old girls in the Philipines in a rat infested, choking from fiber and stifling in its heat sweatshop where these little children are forced to work 23 hours for 1/2 cent a day and beaten mercilessly by some clown named Guido if they don't reach a production goal. Had you been armed with this knowledge PRIOR to your shopping excursion, you undoubtedly would steer clear of the blouse...or frock and you would buy another one that was, perhaps a bit more expensive but came from a place that paid a living wage, had comfortable working conditions and only employed post-pubescent persons. You would, and you know you would, because that is what makes you a compassionate person. It is that same feeling when you randomly pass someone on your bicycle, some guy walking his puppy. You look back and he has turned into a parking lot and you see him begin to kick this puppy. And I mean, KICK this puppy to the point that it is screaming. That feeling you have that makes you turn around and, even though this guy is soooo much bigger than you, and a whole lot nastier, and not nearly as attractive, you feel compelled to do something for this puppy. Why? Any of your business? Nope. Your problem? Nope. Happens everyday, what's the big deal?
Ah. There you have it. The starfish story come to fruition. It matters to the starfish that you throw back. Out of all the starfish that have managed to get swept up onto the shore from the storm, you manage to throw SOME back. And it matters to them. And I believe, it matters to God. It matters that you have looked beyond yourself, beyond what makes you comfortable or not so comfortable, beyond what might be safe or not so safe, beyond what might be your business or not so much.
Because it matters. It matters that if you contribute to animal testing by buying products from companies that test on animals that you consciously do so. That you don't blindly purchase things because it's easy or cheap or tasty or whatever it is that makes you buy stuff that hurts other people, animals or the environment.
Do you see that?
I had a huge blow up with the boys - all three of them - about my sensitivity. It's difficult living in a house with the male perspective so prevalent. I am a tomboy, I like boys, I think they are a blast to be around and I was given what I can handle. But shut the heck up about my being over sensitive! That is not a flaw! It is an ATTRIBUTE that should be nurtured and fed every day. Gosh darn it.
I am sensitive. I readily admit it. I care deeply, very deeply about the plight of the dependents in this world. I have a hard time choosing between them because they do matter so much to me. But I focus on animals because they have no voice. They have no say about what happens to them. And they are so innocent. They deserve so much better.
Back to the following. If you contribute to the reality of factory farming then you should view the following because if they have to go through it for you and your taste buds, then you OWE it to them to see what they have endured for YOU. Don't you dare say that you are too sensitive and haunted by the images because you are aiding and abetting the conditions in which they live by consuming them.
I used to believe that vegetarianism/veganism is a personal choice. And maybe when I first started it was. But considering how the processing of these animals has changed, I don't believe it is a personal choice anymore. It is a societal evil that this is allowed to exist, that factory farming is allowed to exist. And it exists because you want a burger, bacon, sausage, veal, pork chops, wings and fried chicken. If you didn't want it, it wouldn't exist. There are alternatives out there now that are good. I mean really, really good. There's no excuse anymore.
But if you insist on eating them, then you better watch the two films below.
You owe them that much.






PS That puppy story actually happened to me a long time ago, geez, before I was even a vegetarian. I think I was around 21 or so..anyway, I got this burning, horrifying, "vomity" feeling when I saw this guy jerking this little guy around, kicking him with his boots. I turned around on my 10 speed (so cool) and pulled into the parking lot. I screamed at him to stop, I had a tire pump that was really cheap and flimsy but I waved it over my head like a tire iron. My hand, strike that, my entire body was shaking so badly that my yell was vibrato, but I glared at this guy.
It stunned me that he looked frightened. You get an image of someone like that in your head and it pushes out the reality that anyone beating the crap out of an 8 week old puppy is not going to be the bravest guy on the block.
He immediately stopped and picked the puppy up.
I was still on my bike as he stroked the puppy with a guilty look on his face and glancing at me.
WE'RE EVERYWHERE! AND WE'RE WATCHING YOU!! I screamed.
He slinked away, carrying the puppy.
I don't know if I made a difference in the long term, but I did in the short.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog