All Aboard….

Is Rosie O’Donnell’s documentary on HBO about a cruise ship she chartered for 2000 gay and lesbian family members and it aired last night. I only saw it today as we had recorded it. I have to say that I was tearful through at least 80% of the film. I don’t know if it is something innately a part of who I am, how I’m wired or just simply what I believe through life experiences that are the driving force behind my feelings on this subject. Over and over as I saw loving parents care for their kids, overcome incredibly obstacles to fulfill their desire to nurture and raise children, it just revolved in my head – love is love is love. Isn’t there enough hate running rampant in this world? I mean, given the opportunity to allow love to flourish don’t you think as humans that is our goal? To allow love to dominate? I know that’s what Christianity is all about. I know that when presented to Jesus, he said that love was the most important thing.

This cruise wasn’t a gay pride, let’s parade and wear chaps and S&M gear. This was a family cruise. Families with babies, bottles, diapers shoveling food into their mouth as they cared for their little guys. Families with three kids from the same family and two from another because the parents just couldn’t separate them. Families with teens. Couples desperate to adopt or get children to raise and love. And this is bad? Unfortunately we have people out there who bang the drum and present a completely false picture of who gay people are. They flash images from gay pride parades and present it as the norm. The people on the cruise, THAT is the norm. People just going about their life, plodding along on their journey hand in hand with the person they love. To see them in an environment where they could hold hands, hug and kiss affectionately brought about a mix of joyfulness for them and sadness for them as well. I can’t imagine what life must be like as a person who exists under the cloud of prejudice and hate. Where you have to look over your shoulder before you demonstrate affectionate love for another. I wished they could always have that. That peace that comfort of knowing that who they love is who they love and love is great. I don’t like to see anyone making out. Shudder. I like subtle, always have. And I like genuine. And this contained all of that. It saddened me to the core to see churches protesting in Nassau, Bahamas. Angry, shouting people waving their bibles and talking about God condemning them. It was tempered by the native people saying never mind them – we like you. It upset me to see them hurling inappropriate and erroneous statements out in front of little kids. Some were visibly upset. Good thing I wasn’t there. I’m not a very good Christian woman when it comes to people who hurt children. Grrr.

But this affects me deeply. I laud Rosie and Kelli for their idea and their perseverance in making this happen. Offering a safe place to gay families for 7 days. I think of all the people who just want to live. They just want to live their lives, earn their living, go to the grocery story, buy their kids shoes and be. Why is that so threatening to the hetro community? Why would this ever, EVER, be considered something that threatens marriage? Hell, maybe they can get our divorce rate down! They seem to stay together better than we do!

Regardless, highly recommended two thumbs up. Watch it, open your mind, and realize that this is what the homosexual community really is. Does it scare you?

Fraidy cat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog