A Long Night's Journey into Day

Inevitably I am sure that this will be a good thing….but I can’t help but find it shocking that DeLay has yet again been given another opportunity to occupy a seat that he has corrupted with absolutely staggering regularity. I am reassured that in my area, his numbers were low. He almost got beat. And it gives my candidate a much better chance in November. But I can’t help but feel that regardless of what the ruling party does to this country to undermine our country's reputation, its environment, its citizens – like dawn of the dead drones, people zombie their way to the polls push the button with blank expressions and robotically allow an “I VOTED!” sticker to be placed on their lapels. What will it take? Seriously? What will it take to get the people that take for themselves, their families and friends and who insist on laughing as they stomp all over the rest of us? This isn’t accidental disregard, that’s not what bullies do. This is in your face, eff you, meanness. Have you even looked at the whole medicare prescription package? What a load of crap. The people explaining don’t even understand it.

Speaking of nauseatingly overt stickin’ it to the little guy, Cody has the flu. I was given a prescription. I took my prescription in to the pharmacy and my insurance company doesn’t cover that particular prescription. My secondary coverage doesn’t either. They can do that now, arbitrarily not cover whatever the heck they don’t want to cover. He was prescribed 10 pills. The cost? 90 dollars. Nine bucks a pill. And after taking one, his fever spiked to 105.My other son was funny upon hearing the cost of the medication.

He said, while computing Honors Geometry, maybe I should ask around at school, I’m sure I can get it cheaper. They sell ecstasy for cheaper than that.
What?
What? He said looking up somewhat disoriented.
How do you know?
How do I know what?
How do you know what they charge for X?
He looked at me like, are you kidding? Then he realized I wasn’t and he did that suppressed smile thing that is textbook “Josh”.
Um. Because I get offered x all the time, along with other things. Last week, someone just handed it to me and said – have a great weekend!
What did you do with it?
I said thanks, and threw it in the trash.
Are you kidding?
No.
A little history. Josh is an honor student. He should be in eighth grade but he is in ninth. This is someone who is very bright and very focused on school. I never have to ask him about homework. I never have to play investigator when it comes to finding out about grades. He is also not very social. We are working on this, but to say that Josh is not a partier is like saying Mother Teresa was just a nice gal. Anyway, kids in his class started asking him if he was stoned pretty much from the first week of school. He figured it was because he is pretty laid back and his eyes are red most of the time because of his contacts. But he never said no. He simply didn’t care if people thought that. He finds it funny that people can think he is stoned yet he makes the highest grades in almost all of his classes. People offer him drugs because they already think he is on them.
How much do they charge for X?
5 bucks a pill.
Huh.
Do you think they might have some of this flu medicine?
Mom, they have everything.
I reconsider, as I really don’t think it a good idea for my son to be negotiating pharmaceuticals with the school drug lords.
But I understand the swarming of people to Mexico and Canada.
It is well past time to take back our country from the conglomerates.

Well past time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog