Idiocy Too Close to Home
Last week, while at my brother's house, the x contacted the boys and had them ask me (actually my husband since I wasn't there) if they could come to his house since his mother was in town. This is a big no-no if you have kids. Using them to messengers is just not a cool thing to do. It puts them in the middle, yada yada. Anyway, we are pretty pro-family, believing that when you have an opportunity to see family you take it. Lance allowed them to go, instructing them that the visit would take place from 4 - 6. At six, the x had Josh call and say that they were eating and would be back later. Lance fired off an email, letting the x know that this was completely unacceptable, communicating through the boys was unacceptable, and that to compensate us for the loss of time during our time of visitation he could pick the boys up at 8:35 the following Thursday (instead of 6). I sent a letter to document this agreement. At 6:10 on Thursday, while the kids and I are at Sonic, Cody gets a call.
The x is at the house with the police.
Oh, so impressive. Don't you think?
The boys freak out.
Will they be questioned?
Will they be arrested?
Will I be arrested?
I tell them we will go home, they can go inside and get their stuff and I will talk to the police. Don't worry, everything will be fine.
They are mortified and fearful and embarassed.
We get home. There's the idiot and his bloated wife standing outside their car looking all put upon and indignant. I get out of the car the boys scurry inside. I talk to the cop. He says I can do the same thing if the x doesn't abide by the agreement. I tell him it's not my style, and it's very upsetting to the boys. No big deal. The bloated one is laughing for some mysterious reason, and I think to myself - thank God I am rid of that.
I go inside and talk to the boys. They are horrified.
Are neighbors outside? No.
Is anyone out there? No.
Is the cop going to arrest us? No.
You? No.
Are you in trouble? No.
Can you email my paper to me? Yes.
Poor kids. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. They are strong.
Here's the letter to be dropped in the mail on Monday:

Dear (name withheld because he's an idiot),

Wow! Are we blessed or what? Just when we thought it impossible that another life lesson would be presented to teach the boys, you are there to afford the opportunity. Thank you! Thank you for giving yet another occasion for the boys to witness incredible acts of grace and opposing acts of complete selfishness. It never fails! Once again, the boys can look to Lance to see a man who puts his children ahead of himself, who is generous and compassionate, and look to you for, well, the opposite. I don’t think anyone has ever been so fortunate as to have a living example that the boys can use on a regular basis of how not to be. So thank you! Thank you for being you. It has been invaluable! Just remember, what has been done, cannot be undone and what you sow, you will reap. It will all fall squarely on your shoulders. You will not be able to blame anyone but yourself.
Thanks again!!
Regards


I like it. It works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog