Mirror Mirror
From what I gather, there has been quite the hullabaloo regarding Senator Hilary’s comments at an MLK function on Monday. She said that the administration and the house are run like “a plantation” and that this administration will go down in the history books as the worst to a predominantly black group of attendees. I do agree that this administration is the worst ever, but the whole house thing…I don’t know, I'm not in the loop on that whole gig.
I do take issue with the Hillster for her lack of consistency. Ah! The plight of the democrat! What was the Fox News Mantra for Kerry (except the lack of equal time, swift-boating, attacking and negative imagery)? – flip flop flip flop.
I don’t mind her saying what she thinks to this group, just start saying what you think all the time. Don’t say one thing to one group and another to a different group. Of course, you aren’t going to talk about racial equality to a bunch of war vets, likewise you aren’t going to dominate your speech with your stand on education to a gathering of seniors. You absolutely tailor your information to the audience. Public speaking 101. But you don’t fly all over the spectrum saying “good senate” then turning and saying “bad senate”, it makes you look very Sybil-ish.
Let’s say, you have certain beliefs. Let’s take it from my point of view since that’s the one I know best. The issue: animal rights. I can appear somewhat middle of the road on this issue. I will eat with carnivores. I will allow good-natured kidding at my expense. I will nod understandingly as they explain that they don’t eat veal or barely consume red meat anymore. I will say that I understand a carnivore's point of view, because, frankly, I do. But when I am with vegans, I am with my people. I will speak differently to them about the issue than I would to carnivores. Why? Because being right about this issue makes people who are wrong feel badly..hahahahaha! Oh I’m kidding! I adjust my adamant views based on the people around me, because I don’t want to hurt their feelings or make them uncomfortable. Does this mean that I will chow down on a ribeye to be accepted? Hells no! My base principal does not change but how it is conveyed does. I want to be compassionate and open-minded, but I don’t contradict myself in that effort. When it comes to expressing my point of view through my actions, demonstrations, words etc. I believe I am pretty consistent. And that’s where Hillary loses me. Do not try to be a centrist if you are not one. If you are a liberal, be a liberal. There is no reason to cloak your liberalness. It does not make you a baby-killer, a New Age guru, gay or any of the other absurd labels that get affixed to those of us who live to the left.

Gosh, it starts at birth, doesn’t it? The driving desire for acceptance and popularity? We all want to end our speeches to riotous applause, smiles and cheers. Everyone yearns for those moments. But if it entails saying something I don’t believe, then I would rather walk off the stage dodging tomatoes and a cacophony of boos and hisses. Not exactly hovering six inches of the floor by the audience’s adulation but at least I didn’t sell my soul. I don’t consider it to be insulting to be called a liberal. What I do not like is wondering where my alleged leaders actually stand on very important issues. You cannot have it both ways. If you say you are for a woman’s right to choose, say it. If you are against the war, say it. If you want national health, say it. If you think gay people should be able to marry, say it. All the time. And VOTE that way! What happens repeatedly is that demos say no to war, and then vote for it. They say equal rights and then vote against it or vote for someone who is against it. You will never be deemed a good leader if you don’t say what you really think. Even when it's hard. Even when you can be punished or even killed for it. Bush kind of says what he really thinks, but that’s a completely different thing because he lies a lot and he can’t be trusted. But if you say to your peers – oh yeah. I love it here! The house. The senate. Golly they rock. Then you get up in front of people who you know don’t like the people in the house and senate and you start saying – oh yeah. The house. The senate. They suck. You have tossed your paddles over the side and you are now stuck in the creek without them.
Say what you mean. We are tired of apologists. We are tired of lefties pretending to be fence sitters. There’s nothing wrong with being objective and open to other’s opinions. But you have to have your own opinion or you are just a mirror. We don’t need a mirror for a leader, because who knows what the reflection will be next.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog