I wrote this before "Black Tuesday" first Tuesday of November 2004.
Contradictions
Contradictions
The American affliction
As Halliburton reaches two billion
In contracts to rebuild Iraq
Sit back
Take in
From the master of spin
During a fireside chat
While families huddle together in a flat
That lacks
Warm air
Cannot deem fair
Jessica with a swish of her hair
Dumps food into the trash
While Avril gives up her stash
To a food bank whose shelves are bare
Little boys collect door to door
So others have more
Yet the cracks in our society’s floor
Grow larger the size of a door
Families fall floundering thrashing their arms
The alarms
All silent
Work within
I try again
But fall flat
Knowing that
As right and true as I want to be
I can’t stomach the hypocrisy
Simple concepts
muddied by the inept
does no one see
the irony
of power plants in global warming times
allowed to expand with no dime
spent on pollution control
we are drinking more arsenic in the water we hold
war vets are in the line for food and provisions
does anyone see the need for revisions
in a country so rich
with so many doing good
why is there so much despair in so many hoods
why are the things we were taught so young
hung
out to dry in our later years
what belief would you die for
a foreign war
a migrant man
a book that’s banned
something to do with the rights of another
two men who are kind and also lovers
why do we hang on here and moan
knowing that death just takes us home
I’ll go too whenever He’s ready
Until then I remain steady
In my utter disbelief
How so much wrong
Causing such grief
Can go unnoticed
Rather disregarded
As I am called hardheaded
I won’t bow down
Fall to the ground
For the man that swaggers around
Using my God’s name as a shield
To his attacks with the sword
Slaughter hordes
With cuts of funding and relief
All the while expressing verse and prose
My gag reflects goes
Into automatic
The beauty is
Arrogance blinds
One who thinks himself divine
Will in November dine
On crow and humble pie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog