Foxy Musings
I heard what slush said about Michael J. Fox.
This is my perspective. When someone "famous" steps up with an underfunded disease and puts himself out there to help not only raise awareness but funds, that is a HERO. My brother died from ALS, a severely underfunded disease with little to no "celebrity" ties. Famous people afflicted with this terminal illness for the most part, and with every right, decided to guard their privacy.
Now, if MJF went off his meds for a commercial what does this mean? Does it say something about the medication? About his character?
Well, to me it says - I take medication that controls this disease. I will be on this medication for the rest of my life until I find A CURE. Showing the disease as it is - not repressed or suppressed by medication is not "exploitive" it is HONEST. To say that he is "using" his disease is probably one of the most retarded things I have ever heard in my life. To say that he was "playing it up" because he is an "actor" goes beyond insensitive. It goes beyond common decency.
He is basically saying - what I would like is a cure, so that I don't have to go through a potentially harmful operation or take medication for the rest of my life that, of course, has side effects. I would like for research to be done because there are thousands upon thousands of people for whom I speak.
Rush was wrong.
Hate radio was out of line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog