A Coupla Things
Janitorial Musings
There's a janitors' strike going on in the City of Houston. Seems that the janitors are protesting their 5.15/hour pay, no benefits, and part-time status. The building owners say that they cannot possibly change any of this because they have the problems of continuously rising building costs including utilities, property taxes, etc.
Does anyone find this a tad bit insane?
Are you or are you not making their argument for them? The janitors are saying that their 5.15/hr pay hasn't been raised in years and they are all suffering because of it - due to the RISING COST OF LIVING INCLUDING UTILITIES, PROPERTY TAXES, ETC.!! DOH!
5.15 an hour.
To me that is such an incredible slap in the face. Your time is only worth 5.15 an hour. Which comes out to what about 3.44 per hour after taxes?
Golly.
That's like 140 buckeroos for a 40 hour week.
Huh.
Crazy janitors.

Presuming Musings
Now I recently heard a bit of disdain over the airwaves about how democrats are positively euphoric about the latest turns in the political tides, and those disdainers are none too happy. May I take a brief liberty here? Uh. We've been waiting for six years for the cover to blow off this septic tank and even though we are not all that happy about all that is now emanating from said cesspool, we have to admit that we are, yes, happy. We aren't counting our chickens before they hatch, as we have done that and ended up with a lot of rotten eggs. Instead, we are HOPEFUL. We are pulling in the reins, keeping our eyes on the prize, trying to stay on task, and avoid any premature enthusiasm, but darnit! It's hard. It is very difficult to not feel that joy in your heart, that song in your soul (the hills are aaaallllivvvve with the sound of chan-ges) at the mere thought of this nightmare finally beginning to end. When we can start feeling proud again. When we can start feeling like we are a part of the process again. When we can feel that we matter again. When we can speak out again. It's a great feeling.

And finally.
Job Musings
I hadn't even dared to believe that the job that I was going for would materialize for me. Josh is a sophomore, Cody is in eighth grade. Child support is down by 2/3's. I was beginning to feel the pinch of panic with driving, proms, college, etc. fast approaching on one salary. I finally heard today that the position that I applied for was not only mine but that they wanted me full-time and not part-time as originally stated. I will be starting October 30th at 8 a.m. with the City of Missouri City Public Works/Engineering Department. Full benefits. Retirement plan. An increase to the original salary. AND a cafeteria plan. Woohoo!
It will greatly impact my ability to post here, to share my bi-partisan opinions (I put that in for my long suffering conservative mom who dry heaves and loses consciousness when reading some of my entries - teehee). But I am far from done. I will write as often as I can. There will probably be far less outside articles added. But we will see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog