OBAMA 2008
An 0pen letter to Barack Obama (D-Il),
It has been especially difficult being a born-again Christian, liberal, democrat in Texas since November 2004. Before that, I really thought people were seeing what was going on and that the momentum would be there when it mattered. The days following, were exceedingly dark, not the darkest in my life, but extraordinarily dark. Four more years after a 51% mandate and political capital that had been gained and presumably it would be spent. Four more dark years.
But during the hopeful period directly before, I was able to watch you as a speaker at the Democratic National Convention. I had been moved by many, and was fortunate enough to be able to express my views every day in the Houston Chronicle. Many spoke the message that I wanted from my party. However a man I have never even heard of came up as the keynote speaker and I thought…..who’s he?
Sigh.
One thinks one has one’s finger on the heartbeat of the country, politically.
One was sadly mistaken.
I don’t think I have ever been so compelled, drawn in and finally, resonated. Someone stood before me and said – democracy is not just for those that have the loudest voices or who have the wealth or power to buy a ticket to the party. Democracy is all about getting everyone together – the people who don’t speak up, who can’t speak up – for we are our brother’s keeper. We are. That’s what makes us so great. Look at us in a crisis. The people of this country, regardless of the government’s response, always step up during times of trouble and they shatter stereotypes and go far beyond our wildest expectations. When our government no longer reflects the people – not just their opinions or thoughts about societal programs or foreign policy – but the essence, the true character of those it is supposed to be representing, it needs to be corrected.
I caught you on some news show, where you were backed into a corner by that blasted Tim Russet potato, I think that’s his name. He got you to say that you would not run for president in ’08. I am telling you now, no kidding, do not extinguish this light, please. We have two more years of this nightmare, please don’t put out the only ray of hope we have to hang on.
You really have no idea, do you?
Your country needs you.
We need you.
I know you really dig Illinois, and if I were Illinois I would probably be pretty selfish with you, but I am telling you, it is your time. Don’t go Vice President, we don’t need you in that position, Boxer or Pelosi or that cutie Edwards would work out nicely there. We need someone who understands the New Testament enough to understand that we are so not doing the right thing. We don’t have to stir up the bees to get the honey. We can be good leaders without being fascists, I know we can. Some say, ah! He’s but a freshman.
I say that’s when they are at their best. Before the taint of Washington and the filth of payoffs, bribes and soul-selling has had a chance to sink in. You are the one with the level head, the ability to pull the thread in repair of the fabric that exists in this country, uniting it once again. There is a huge rift. A massive tear. Some say that it will never be repaired. I believe that you can do it.
Please just say you’ll consider it.
We need someone strong.
We need someone with moral fiber.
We need someone capable of empathy.
Grassroots will get you there.
You have no idea how much support you have.
The minority communities will be behind you, the young, the fed up and every Democrat in every state will finally vote, and a lot of people in the Republican party who are tired of being lied to and suckered. They will all back you, once they have heard you. So, consider it, seriously. Your country is calling, Bammer, are you going to answer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog