I used to go to the gym at five in the morning to work out on the eliptical and rowing machines. It was nice to get it over with. Later, in the evening, I would go back to the gym to do yoga. We ended our gym membership mostly because I freakin' hate gyms (but that's another story) and it was m0ney down the drain for my family that rarely used the membership to its fullest potential. I struggled with motivation for a while and not being able to find the right balance.
But I have finally found it.
I run two miles in the evenings with one of the dogs, come home and head straight upstairs. I shut the door to the master bedroom, dim the lights, put a new agey, spa station on XM, grab my mat and start my yoga. Not listening to others grunt, inevitably yak, or the instructions of the leader has been more than I ever imagined. Taking my time with poses, focusing in the areas I want to focus in on, breathing, pushing myself, it really has been cathartic.
The run starts out stiff and why the heck am I doing this-ish. But as my poor knees loosen up, and I get into a rhythm, I inevitably go where the music on my IPOD takes me. I understand the runner's high, although I don't think I have attained the level by any stretch of the imagination that mini or full marathon runners achieve. But I understand it. Once your mind realize that no amount of negative signals is going to stop you on your quest, it resigns itself to be as far removed as possible. I have literally had an argument with myself about that pain possibly being something serious and worth stopping for. But once that is done, it becomes automatic and you can wander off some place a lot nicer and more comfortable.

It's hard resuming if you stop. I stopped for a bit and found that my energy diminished so significantly I thought there was something wrong with me...like a disease or something. Everything was an effort. I found myself falling asleep in my chair before nine o'clock at night. I started back by taking the dogs for a walk. Three separate walks equalling about five miles. Brisk walks that started leisurely.
Then I got a gift card for my involvement in the Wellness Program at work. I immediately went out and bought running shoes. That was crucial. It's shocking what a difference shoes make. I got lightweight, supportive shoes that are a dream to run in. I actually look forward to my little run now. It is dark and cool. I realized also that I hate running in the heat. In my area, that's pretty much all the time except for now. So, I will have to figure out what time of night or early morning is coolest because I want to keep this up.
I realize now that there is a reason they call those that sit around watching TV all day "couch potatoes". Your flesh begins to look a lot like mashed potatoes if you don't exercise enough. It's not pleasant. I am fortunate in that being vegan helps keep my weight down but that doesn't do jack for the tone of muscles. That takes exercise.
All I can say is, do yourself a favor and start moving. Put on some headphones, put on your favorite song and dance like a crazy person. Jump. Kick. Punch. Walk. Stretch. Lift your arms over your head and reach for the sky. You will feel so much better. And your body will thank you. Not initially. It will hurt you initially. But once it realizes that you mean business, it will be surprising cooperative and capable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog