Post Debate Observations

You know, the content was to be expected, and it really held no surprises, I presume, for anyone. What did stand out in an interrogation lamp sort of way for me was a) how presidential Obama comes across and b) how snarky McCain appeared.
There's buzz that McCain said horseshit twice while Obama was talking about Spain. Whether he did or not really isn't the point. The fact that it is feasible is the point. I watched it a couple of times on youtube and frankly, I have no idea. But he could have said.
Which goes to this whole snarky thing.
As an elder, I would think your best bet is to come across as wise, knowledgeable, empathetic to the newbie but ready to redirect at a moment's notice. McCain came across not as said "maverick" but as a prone to outburst in temper, huffing puffing teenage boy. Believe me. I know.
He would not make eye contact with Obama. Perhaps he felt it wasn't necessary, I felt he missed a great opportunity to appear to be listening, to appear to be engaged, to appear to have some kind of tact and diplomacy.
I got none of that.
It just looked as though he was waiting to pounce on an opportunity to drop some of those well rehearsed convention/campaign slogans that everyone has heard repeatedly (thanks but no thanks, take names make them famous, blah blah blah). He even managed to make a Palin reference which, again, to me seemed like he is completely out of touch with everything that is going on. Had he not seen the disastrous Couric interview? Shouldn't he just let that sleeping dog lie?
I think about it and I shudder. Can you imagine McCain working with other nations that have ideological differences to us? I want someone in there, representing us in a way that is polite and respectful, yet strong and commanding. I don't get that from McCain. I don't even get a hint of it.
I watched the 20/20 special on him and Obama on ABC before the debates. What that man went through! Can you imagine it? 5 years? FIVE YEARS! The pain he must have endured must have been soul destroying. When he talks about that, about his life, his mistakes and successes - there is the ghost of John McCain past. Funny, humble, knowledgeable. I know, he probably had his "game face" on but I don't think it was the right choice.
I do have to say something about he moderator. Normally, I like him. He's good.
But dear God, what the heck??
Stop. Now look at him when you are talking to him.
Tell him, not me.
It was how I used to mediate my boys after an argument when they were in elementary school. It was so infantile, yet it was completely overshadowed by McCain's refusal to make eye contact with Obama. That just bugged me.

So, the debate was a draw to me. I watched it on CSPAN (ode to my bro, Paul!) so I didn't have the added bonus of commentary or graphs or other opinion swaying gadgetry.

I am looking forward to the VP debates. I want to see if the surgery worked to get Joe's foot out of his mouth, Gaffe Masta Flash!, and if he is able to pull off a win without 1) excessive verbosity, 2) appearing condescending and 3) coming across as a bully. I happen to like Biden, for all his stupid misstatements and errors. He is so very human. Palin, on the other hand, has a hurdle the height of a toothpick to get over. The bar is that low for her now. After her terrible interview with Gibson and then, fresh from VP class 101, has an even worse interview with Couric, no one is expecting her to do very well at all. I think she's going to try to play up the golly gee-ness of her persona, to work that "I'm just like you" adage to draw people in. She might pull it off. If she can bs for 90 minutes, she will have my admiration. Seriously. That's hard to do. She won't have my vote, but I will admire her effort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog