Local Musings
Yesterday, my U14 boys soccer team won 1 to 0. Their blowout last week (12 - 1) left them feeling invincible and, yes, a bit arrogant. The first half was spent running around, showboating, playing the other team’s game of “mob mentality”. If you have ever watched under 9 soccer you know what that is. A group of about four or five kids running around together battling for the ball. Usually on the same team. The other team seemed to like this approach, so we followed suit with ten kids pushing and testing out each other’s shin guards.
At the half, we had a chat about relaxing, team work, passing (which usually exhausts mob teams), and talking. Sure enough the boys played their game the second half, had tens of shots on goal that were just a bit off, until finally one went in. Very good. The kids are happy, the parents are happy, and I am relieved. The head coach comes back for next week’s practice and I am back to being the assistant. I had a group of parents come up and tell me that the consensus is that if they lose a game they will be firing the head coach and naming me head coach.
Rec soccer.
Ruthless.
I gently pointed out that they could not fire a volunteer, and that the team would not lose.

I was asked by one of the dads if I wanted to join their co-ed, over 30 team. He didn’t seem to care that I had had umpteen knee surgeries…I think they are seriously lacking in female teammates. I know the reason for this. Many men ask women to join, assess their level of play within the first minute or two, and then promptly shove them into a position that they do not allow the woman to play. They “help” her. I have been on co-ed teams – some are fun, but for the most part, you might as well be a cone. You never get a pass, you are not allowed to challenge an opponent without another set of manly legs and cleats crowding your space. You are welcomed, included, joked around with off the field, but you are minimized and bulldozed on the field.
It’s maddening…
better remove my nail polish.
Sends the wrong message.

Quick fact:
Did you know that HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP blocks the chemical leptin which signals the brain that you are full and allows your fat to tell your brain it is there? It totally messes up your ability to control your appetite. Check your ingredients!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog