UN Bashing Musings
I do not understand those that continuously criticize the UN. I find it odd that the very people that find fault with the United Nations are the same ones that cannot seem to see the deficiencies of our current administration. I think that there are many factors that contribute to the incessant stumblings of the organization, but I believe that this in inevitable. You can call someone clumsy and useless if they are constantly falling down, only if you ignore the fact that someone is relentlessly sticking a foot out or an obstacle in the path of that person. The United Nations is a great concept. But if you have members who use economic blackmail to undermine the union and its processes, it is not the collective that is at fault, it is the parts. Over and over I hear the attacks. But where is the praise? Why was the UN not given kudos for stabilizing Liberia during the reign of Charles Taylor to the point that the first woman president could be elected? I would think that being in charge of an entire country would be incredibly challenging, but to be in charge of the UN? With all those agendas and egos? How difficult that must be! They have been accepted into the conflicted area of the Sudan. Kofi is exercising some serious diplomatic muscle and restraint in his discussions with China Korea and Japan. There is an abundance of conflicted history that goes back for centuries in this area, and he is dealing with all of it. The UN is intensively involved in pushing for formal diplomatic solutions regarding the border between Syria and Lebanon. The Security Council has called for an immediate cease-fire in Somalia. All the while attempting to put out fires in Afghanistan where their vehicles are being targeted by suicide bombers and trying to get eleven UN hostages released in Eritrea. That is but a fraction of a fraction of what the UN is involved in.
I can’t think of anything more frustrating than people who point out the negative. There are always going to be areas that can be improved, that need attention, that are corrupt and need to be corrected. I think the parable regarding glass houses might be appropriate here. I find that no matter how diligent I am in raising my children, the X finds something that he believes I am doing wrong. Interesting considering that this comes from someone who refuses to speak to me and has no comprehension of our day-to-day lives. However, I am not perfect. I can readily admit that I have made mistakes when it comes to my approach and my direction at times. But those who know me, know how much I put into parenting, and how important it is to me. Regardless, there will always be critics. I think it is time to stop criticizing the UN and its subsequent associations. It is a huge, unenviable job, dealing with so many different interests, viewpoints, histories, traditions, and personalities. Either contribute positively or shut the heck up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog