Last night at my eldest son's home team, which is a small group bible study for his grade, the topic came up about role models. He shared that he only had one. I asked him who, and he said "you." I don't think you can ever fully appreciate that incredible rush of warmth and pride until your teenager, or someone equally disdainful about your existence on a regular basis, says something like that. Of course, I want every detail. ha! This makes sense, now! The leader for the first time came out to my car and said hello and conversed with me. Me the role model.
So, Josh....what did you say?
That you're my role model.
Ahem. Yes. Got that. Is that it? I mean, did you have to explain why? Or share anything with the group? (A whole group of teenage boys now will look upon me, the role model, as someone to possibly look to...I wonder if I should get a haircut or start wearing more makeup...I'll have to consider my options..)
Yes.
Silence.
So....what did you say?
I told them that you're cool...
COOL?! OMG! This is a miracle! This is truly a hallelujah moment! Cool! At 42 almost 43! Swoon.
And that you listen to underground rap....
Wha?
...and that you get really pissed off when people driving in front of you drive too slow.....
Say...what?
...just like me. I get really pissed off in the halls when people walk too slow and block me.
Are you kidding?
No. Why?
Seriously. Josh. You told your church group that I am your role model because I experience road rage and listen to deviant music?
Hey, what you think is bad, I think is good.
That was his response. What you think is bad I think is good. I am a role model for teenage boys who want to justify hall rage and have an affinity for anti-establishment rap music.
So much for the makeup.
I need some black clothing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog