I am a huge, huge Whale Wars/Sea Shepherd supporter. My husband and I dVR it and watch, spellbound.

It's funny. I have changed a lot of practices, habits in my life based on my love for the dependents in this world. I am moved to tears AND to action by the blatant cruelty we inflict on those that cannot fight back. I have seen endless, countless videos of the most horrific examples of the daily torture we inflict on animals and on children.
I have seen it all.
Literally.

And I am also extremely aware of what happens when hunters hunt and kill their prey. I know. I have seen it.

But last night was still horrifying. The part that caught me and threw me around, emotionally, was seeing this glorious animal fighting for TWENTY FIVE MINUTES while the harpoon was still in his head, having been shot six or seven times, he fought with all his might. The blast of water from his blowhole was what made it unbearable. Knowing that this animal took 25 MINUTES to slowly choke and drown on its own blood, was soul destroying.

I am outraged.

I was fortunate in that I didn't have to sit in that helicopter and watch, powerless, as this incredible animal fought for his life, fought and twisted and flung himself desperate to disengage. Seeing him going all out - 17 knots - trying to get away from the harpoon ship - unable to get a good enough breath to dive - he was doomed. Seeing that harpoon blast out and pierce the whale was gutting.

I cannot reconcile the brutality.
The abject cruelty of human beings always stuns me.
I have seen it.
I have watched.
I have been a witness for the animals and cried out in primal pain knowing that the last image that these animals witness on this earth is pure evil.
Because that's what it is.
I don't know how you can explain it away.
Feeding the masses.
Entertainment.
Human advancement by testing.
Culture.
Tradition.
Clothing.
None of it justifies the terror, the indescribable pain, the horror of what these animals endure.
God! We are so much better than this!
25 minutes.
Go and punch a pillow for 25 minutes.
Or jump in place.
See how long it actually is.
See how long that animal suffered.
How long it struggled for breath.
How long it thrashed around causing the harpoon to inflict that much more damage and pain.

I sat in my chair sobbing.
Sobbing for the animal.
Sobbing for humankind.
Sobbing for the people who were out there trying desperately to stop this brutality and being rendered powerless.
Paul Watson has been the captain of the Sea Shepherd crew for 35 years without one whale killed during all that time.
And in one campaign, three.
Three precious animals, three majestic mammals of the ocean were mercilessly slaughtered for profit.

We can do better.
But at this moment, I honestly do not believe that we want to.

Comments

Hart said…
I am not totally against eating meat. Life feeds on life.

But harpooning whales is utterly barbaric. This kind of slaughter would never be legal in any on-land slaughter house.

Popular posts from this blog