Pretty happy this morning for reasons I will explain later. Got to work and put my lunch in the frig. Went to the ladies room.
Something that I have started doing is covering the toilet seat. Not sure why, I just do. If there aren't covers, I'll lay toilet paper in strips around the seat.
Cozy.
Anyway, did that whole o/c ritual, washed hands and left.
Grabbed my tea and as I was headed back to my office someone came up and said there was someone outside who had a meeting with our director at 7:30. It was now quarter to eight so I thought the least I could do was get him in out of the cold and have him sit inside. I went and fetched him, led him to the kitchen for a cup o'java because that's how I roll. Led him to a seat in the foyer as he strode behind me talking about being an engineer for some unfamiliar firm. I sat him down, turned and went into my office. The admin asst, Grace, came in and told the guy (and me) that the meeting was in a different place. I led him again to the kitchen for a travel cup and sent him on his way.
I stopped by Grace's desk to chat a bit and as I walked away she said 'what is that sticking out of your shirt in the back?" I did the dance of the foolish trying to see what she was talking about and grasped the offending intruder.
A piece of toilet paper.
Draped over the band of my pants like a tail.
Fabulous.
That engineer will never forget me.

Yesterday after going through the torture that is jury duty, I ran around getting groceries, making dinner, picking up wayward soccer players from practice, delivering ConLaw and Interp performers at school, the usual stuff.
Lance and I left Cody to do his homework at home and we went to watch Josh perform his duet piece for Interp. This was the first time in the two years that he has been truly involved in Speech and Debate that I have ever seen him perform as he usually only allows others to see at tournaments. He tried to get me to abandon the notion of coming but there was no hope in Hades of THAT happening.
Sometimes my kids take my breath away. I know Josh is smart and creative. A true out of the box thinker. But his performance went so far beyond my expectations. It was fantastic.
We watched the others and left for home around 9, stopping to check mail. In it, a letter from a college.
Josh has been accepted to St. John's University in Queens New York on a Presidential Scholarship, four year, full ride. Holy CRAP! What a relief that is He still wants to go to UT but we will be visiting the SJ campus to see if it's a possibility.
I of course called everyone that would pick up their phone.
Cody came down and handed me an essay. It was a character and theme analysis of Lord of the Flies with a sprinkling of symbolism evaluation. Now Cody is a smart kid. Really smart. But his focus has always been on the social and athletic angle of school as opposed to the academic. I read the essay spellbound not just by the insight but also by the fact that that kid has spent the past two hours working on a two page, single spaced, typed essay that was really spectacular instead of watching MTV Cribs, playing Halo and texting..all...at...the...same.....time :/.
Like I said, sometimes, they take my breath away.
It was a phenomenal day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog