So why do I care?

Why do I care about that calf ripped from its dairy producing mother a couple of hours after its birth?
Why do tears spring to my eyes as I watch a dolphin desperately leap from its tiny pool onto the concrete as the audience gasps and the other dolphins race to the glass to see the fate of their compatriot?
Why does a grip sweep my heart as I cycle past the dog chained 24/7/365 as it wags its tail hoping I will stop and release him or at least offer comfort?
Why does my throat contract and dry out as I see tiny chicks thrown into a dumpster, atop thousands of others struggling to survive an inevitable doom?
Why do I toss and turn as images of tiny piglets being slammed against the pavement over and over and over again, thwarting peaceful slumber?
How does it affect me personally?
It has no bearing on my life…
Except that it does.
For every animal, for every child, for every senior, for every mentally or physically handicapped abused, neglected, tossed, struck, brutalized I am complicit in the action.
I am allowing it by existing on this planet.
I am a party to it by flicking to the next story, flipping to the next article.
For every second that it is allowed to continue, I am an accomplice.
I care because it matters.
To each and every individual.
As they are dependent on my benevolence.
They rely on my compassion.
It is my moral duty as a human being.
It is my responsibility as co-resident on earth.
I care because if I didn’t I would see no reason to exist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog